History

Lübeck-Travemünder Golf-Klub

100 years LÜBECK-TRAVEMÜNDER GOLF-KLUB VON 1921 e.V. In 1921, three years ago the First World War had ended, golf was not really popular in Schleswig-Holstein. Only in the small village of Kitzeberg not far away from Kiel, existed the first golf club in Schleswig-Holstein which was founded already in 1902. The nearby city of Hamburg was better off, at that time being an example for Lübeck with its “beautiful daughter” Travemünde. Consequently on September 6, 1921 9 honorable gentlemen met, 5 of them being of Hamburg origin, to found the Lübeck-Travemünder Golf-Klub (LTGK). It was not surprising that just Hamburg was godfather of the new foundation, as the seaside resort of Travemünde with its excellent traffic links became destination for many summer guests from the Hanseatic city.

Travemünde flourished, the Priwall racecourse commenced operations again, being run by the Lübeck-Travemünde Racing Club already founded in 1881 by Hamburg citizens. Because of the lack of suitable terrain the committee of LTGK chose the centre of the racecourse as possible ground for a golf course. Courageously they went to work, the needed 11,000 Marks were donated by a club member. In 1922 Hans Bessner from Bad Kissingen was installed as a golf professional and greenkeeper. With the use of modest resources 6 holes were built. But a flat racecourse is not necessarily appropriate for playing golf.

The venture having started so hopefully, was quickly caught up by the economic crisis in 1923 - on March 5 the same year, the committee consequently decided to keep the club as such alive, but to stop playing activities.

A revival of golf got under way again in 1926. The Hanseatic City of Lübeck together with farmer Bassow, who was prepared to provide his land, and the respected English golf course architect, John Morrison, the first “real” golf course in Travemünde came into being in 1928, located on the steep coast of Brodten direct above the Baltic Sea.

In the same year Cai-Detlef von Rumohr took over presidency from his predecessor Friedrich Ewers, Senator of Lübeck and founding president. However, the course had the disadvantage that out of the 18 holes, 7 were far beyond the former and no more existing railway track to Niendorf.

  • LTGK – Golf Course 1927
  • President Cai-Detlef von Rumohr
  • Golf Magazine 1931

A substantial improvement of the course structure could be achieved in 1930 by Robert Murray, the Scottish professional who joined the LTGK in 1928. Based on his proposals the 7 holes beyond the railway track were given up, and the Hanseatic City of Lübeck made available further terrain with the result that soon 11 continuous holes could be played on. In 1933/34 eventually an 18-hole course was developed, praised as the unique coastal golf course in Germany with a clear view over the Baltic Sea. Golf was then played until 1940, and from April 1941 the complete course was closed for players leaving it to farmers for cattle feeding, taking into account the prevailing necessities of nourishing the population during war time.

In 1945 the British occupation force was very happy being able to persue its favorite sport in Travemünde. With the help of Cai-Detlef von Rumohr, who was still in charge as president, the golf course was restored and reduced to 12 holes.


The new start under German management could be realised in 1949. Oscar Traun became president, and Robert Odenthal (coming from GC Feldafing) could act both as professional as well as course planner. According to his ideas the existing 12 holes were converted (transformed?) into an up-to-date 9-hole course remaining nearly unchanged until 1972.

  • Oscar Traun – President 1949
  • Robert Odenthal – Golf coach 1949
  • LTGK Klubhaus 1933

The great turning point came with the year 1989. Since years it had always been a great desire of Travemünder golfers to play on an 18-hole course, but only now this aim could be achieved. After the financial part of the golf course expansion had been secured, the groundbreaking ceremony took place in May 1990for the enlargement to 18 holes which had been desired for so many years. It was May 23, 1992 when Dr. Manfred Biermann, President at that time, hit the “Golden Ball”. For this new course design Udo F. Barth was responsible.

An unsuspected (but at least desirable) upswing of LTGK as fare as membership is concerned promoted the plans to build 9 additional holes, taking into account all requirements of a modern golf course. Just 9m years later, it was June 23, 2001, that another “Golfen Ball” flew on the occasion of a further course expansion, hit by President Peter Lehmensiek-Starke. Wide fairways with ever new views on the Baltic Sea, challenging holes, accompanied by a park-like environment presents the prevailing character of the 27-holes golf course, and the most spectacular driving range in Germany with its fantastic view on the Baltic Sea completes the picture. For this successful expansion Karl f. Grohs provided the plans.

The PGA golf school “CockayneGolf” with its 5 professionals and highly modern flight-scope installation is at the disposal for LTGK members and guests for swing analysis within professional lessons.

Since many years the LTGK is providing an exemplary and excellent golf training for children and young golfers. Several first and second awards on province (Schleswig-Holstein) level and twice the national prize of the German Golf Association (DGV) for best and outstanding youth work are speaking for itself. Furthermore the youth section is participating in the quality management for youth work of the German Golf Association, awarding already for three times the silver certificate.

As far as the gastronomical offer is concerned the superb quality of the Klub restaurant is well known and praised.

During the presidency of Dr. Thomas Schad the decision was taken to build a new clubhouse. On September 16, 2012 the members decided for the construction of a modern building with all necessary and important facilities as restaurant, office, proshop, meeting rooms, caddy cellar and sanitary area. Already in November 2012 the demolition of the old clubhouse started, and on July 10, 2013 the topping-out ceremony could be celebrated, followed by the official inauguration of the new building on May 10, 2014.

In 2021 the LTGK was happy to celebrate its centenary. In the same year the committee could announce that the LTGK now counts more than 1.300 members and is well known in the region and also nationwide for its high quality standard golf course. Therefore for the first time in its history the LTGK was chosen by the German Golf association to organize the national championship for girls of the age category 14 and 16. Another national championship for girls and boys of 18 will take place in 2022.

Ingo Soll, LTGK-Chronist (1940-2019)